You might be wondering why anyone would want to keep their smartphone’s display always on. You might be busy in the kitchen with recipe on your phone. Or you might be playing video games with walkthrough in your mobile phone and want to give a quick glance on what to do next without having to pause your game. There can be several other reasons as well, like when using GPS for navigation or when playing movies, watching slideshows or you want a constant update of time, date, weather and notifications etc.
Considering the OLED display featured on One plus devices which keeping only few pixels on at all times, keeping your screen on won’t be that much trouble for the battery as well. Coming to the topic, the One plus 6 were shipped initially with the always on display feature but it was later removed due to concerns over battery. However, with a module called Magisk installed in your device this feature can be brought back. Magisk is a magic mask to alter system in system-less manner. Confused? Magisk works by leaving the system partition untouched and modifying the boot partition. This is why it’s referred to as a “system-less” root method
Be warned though, it involves rooting of your device which will void your warranty. Since all these run on Oxygen OS, this technique works well with One plus 6, 5t and 5 devices. So, here are the steps involved in getting back always-on display feature if you are an advanced user:
How to enable always on display function on OnePlus 6/5t/5?
- You will need to root and install Magisk
- Download the Magisk Module
- Install it within the Magisk Manager application
- After installation reboot your device for changes to take effect
- Success! Now you can find your feature on Display Settings.
Are you the basic user that don’t know how to root or don’t want to void the warranty? Lucky for you, we can suggest several alternatives as well.
- You can enable the always-on feature on your device by checking “Stay Awake” function on Developers mode found in settings. (If you can’t find developer mode, go to Settings >About Phone>Tap Build number 7 times and you enable developer mode)
- Or you can simply go to Google Play Store and download the app to perform this task for you:
- Keep Screen On
- Stay Alive
- Lucid Daydream App etc.
If you know any other Alternatives/Apps for this – How to enable always on display function on OnePlus 6/5t/5?
Do let others know by stating them in comments!